Home | Conferences and Events | Academic Conferences

General Information

Passport and Visa

You will need a valid passport before arriving to Hong Kong. For most countries, including the United States, a Visa is NOT required for short-term stays. For detailed information and to confirm your visa requirements, please contact your local Embassy or consulate.

For a list of Visa-Free Access or Visa on Arrival for HKSAR passport holders, please click here.

Should you require a visa, we recommend that you apply for a tourist visa. Please note this may take a few days or weeks. Plan on applying for a visa a month before your trip; if needed, there are services available to expedite the process and shorten the wait time.

Should you require a tourist invitation letter from Shanghai Advanced Institute of Finance (SAIF), please follow this procedure:

Note: Since it will take two weeks to issue an official invitation letter for Visa application, we advise that you complete all forms before June 1, 2018.


In Kowloon, the month of July is characterized by high temperatures. The average low and high temperatures are 27 °C (81 °F) and 31 °C (88 °F). Summer months tend to be particularly humid and can experience a great deal of rain. Summer clothing as well as proper rain gear are advised for time of the visit.


The standard electrical voltage in Hong Kong is 220 volts AC, 50Hz. Most hotel bathrooms also have outlets for 100 volts, but if not, you will need a transformer for any appliance or electrical equipment. The majority of electrical outlets in Hong Kong take a three-pronged UK-style plug.

Currency Exchange

The currency in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong dollar (HKD). Exchange centers can be found at airports, most hotels, and in large shopping centers. ATMs can be found almost everywhere. Many take international cards and some HSBC ‘Electronic Money’ machines provide 24-hour cash withdrawal (HK$) facilities for Visa and MasterCard holders. The current exchange rate is about US$ 1 = HK$ 7.8. When exchanging money, please keep your receipt by which you can change any remaining HKD back to foreign currency when leaving Hong Kong. International credit cards such as American Express, VISA, Diners Club and MasterCard are also welcome at many hotels, retail shops and restaurants. Such premises usually display stickers showing the credit cards they accept at their entrances.

Traveler’s checks are accepted by most leading banks and hotels.

Please note: On-site registrations will be accepted on a space-available basis and must be paid via credit card.

Reconfirmation of Air Ticket

International travelers should reconfirm airline tickets 72 hours prior to departure. Travelers can do so by calling the airline carrier offices. Please note that these offices are typically not open on weekends.


To protect yourself and your personal belongings while you are traveling in a foreign country, it is your responsibility to obtain adequate travel and health insurance before leaving your own country.