A rich—and rare—opportunity for family bonding.
The MIT Sloan Fellows Program can be as transformative an experience for partners and families as it is for the fellows. The time away from home becomes a bonding experience—with one another and with the other fellows and their families. All look back on the year as one of the most enriching of their lives together.
Here are 10 things to consider when thinking about making the Sloan Fellows year a family experience:
- Partners and families are invited to many Sloan Fellows events as well as myriad activities designed specifically for them. They also generate social and cultural events of their own throughout the year.
- Many partners take advantage of the year away to pursue professional or educational agendas in one of the most stimulating intellectual communities in the world.
- Some partners look forward to a year off the grid, using the time to learn to ski or play an instrument, write a book or explore other interests in the arts.
- The partners and families of fellows who are poised to become global leaders find the program an ideal preparation for life in a new environment.
- The robust partners support system makes the transition to Cambridge more fun and less stressful than most global moves.
- Partners and children enjoy the opportunity to strengthen their command of English in a highly supportive environment.
- For children of fellows, the year is a formative, confidence-building experience. They attend school in an area where cultural diversity is embraced and celebrated.
- The international friendships that fellows, partners, and families form during the year away from home can be a seminal influence in their lives.
- Cambridge, Boston, and the surrounding towns offer excellent schools, convenient public transportation, and beautiful, tree-lined family neighborhoods.
- This metropolitan area is a cultural hub with a wide selection of museums, concert halls, parks, historic sites, shopping, and restaurants of every culinary description.
I miss our life at Sloan so much. It was a fairytale year that will last forever in our hearts. I wish I could transmit my memories and experiences to future generations of the program to inspire them to live their Sloan Fellows year as fully as possible. Maybe some MIT genius could invent the technology!Bettyana Moran
Franco Galindo, SF ’08