MIT Sloan Latin America - China Conference
The MIT Sloan Office of International Programs hosted the inaugural 2014 MIT Sloan Latin America-China Conference: Prospects & Challenges for Economic Growth on August 28-29,2014.
The conference, held on Thursday & Friday, August 28-29, 2014 at the Sheraton WTC Hotel, São Paulo, Brazil, brought together prominent academics, business leaders and policy advisors for dialogue, debate and discussion on what the future may hold for Latin America and China as important trading partners and competitors.
A welcome dinner was held on August 28, featuring keynote speaker, Mr. Jian Gao, Former Vice Governor at the China Development Bank.
On August 29, a keynote presentation was given by Mr. André Loes, Chief Economist, HSBC Latin America, and Mr. Paul Mackel, Managing Director, HSBC Hong Kong. In addition, four panel discussions amongst prominent academics, business leaders and policy advisors, was led by MIT Sloan Faculty.
The MIT Sloan Faculty and panlists included:
Panel 1 - Growth Prospects in Latin America
Roberto Rigobon, Society of Sloan Fellows Professor of Management
- Vittorio Corbo Lioi, former Governor of the Central Bank of Chile, Senior Research Associate at Centro de Estudios Públicos
- Ilan Goldfajn, Chief Economist, ITAU Unibanco Bank
- Alejandro Werner, IMF Director, Western Hemisphere Department
Panel 2 - Growth Prospects in China
Yasheng Huang, International Program Professor in Chinese Economy and Business
- Xinzhong Xu, Dean, Lingnan University
- Ning Zhu, Professor of Finance and Deputy Director, Shanghai Advanced Institute of Finance
- Pei Sun, Associate Professor, Fudan University
- Bai Chong-En, Associate Dean, School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University
Lunch Keynote Speakers
- Paul Mackel, Managing Director, HSBC Hong Kong
André Loes, Chief Economist, HSBC Latin America
Panel 3 - DEEP DIVE with MIT SLOAN
MIT Sloan's faculty analyze today's business challenges and solutions through their research. In this session, MIT Sloan faculty with expertise in Latin America, China, Energy and Global Economy engage in an interactive discussion about the key issues as identified by the conference attendees:
- Roberto Rigobon, Society of Sloan Fellows Professor of Management
- Valerie Karplus, Project Director, China Energy and Climate Project
- Yasheng Huang, International Program Professor in Chinese Economy and Business
- Don Lessard, Epoch Foundation Professor of International Management, Emeritus
Panel 4 - Doing Business in Latin America and China - Comparisons, Contrast and Competition
Don Lessard, Epoch Foundation Professor of International Management, Emeritus
- Enrique Ostalé, President and CEO, Walmart Latin America
- Ambassador Fernando Reyes da Mata, Universidad Andrés Bello
- Charles Tang, President, Brazil-China Chamber of Commerce & Industry
We look forward to seeing you again in São Paulo!
Please contact us with your questions or comments at : +1 (617) 253-7168.