Published: November 19, 2012
MIT Sloan’s E60
MIT Sloan’s E60 has been certified LEED Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council, making it the second building on the management school campus to be recognized for its innovative, sustainable design.
The School’s first LEED Gold building, E62 and the Porter Center for Management Education, opened in 2010 and serves as the physical center for the School community. Buildings on the MIT campus receive a letter-number designation, in lieu of traditional names.
E60, built in 1917 to house the one of the world’s first management consulting companies, finished new renovations last year. The three-story, 30,000 square foot building is now home to MIT Sloan’s Office of the Dean, as well as the Office of External Relations, which directs alumni, donor, and corporate relations for MIT Sloan.
“With both E60 and E62, MIT Sloan has implemented sustainable building design on campus,” said David Schmittlein, John C Head III Dean. “The renovation of E60 gives new life and purpose to a building of historical significance for management and management education.”
Updates to E60 introduced a series of sustainable design elements, including: heat recovery methods incorporated into HVAC systems; an energy-efficient air-conditioning systems that uses water instead of air to remove heat; high-performance foam spray insulation; efficient lighting design and controls; and a “green roof” to provide natural insulation, absorb storm water, and improve air quality.
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification is based on a point system that gives credit for design that minimizes impact on ecosystems, uses sustainable building materials, and promotes water efficiency, better energy performance, and indoor air quality.
The building is the former site of the Arthur D. Little, Inc. headquarters. Little, an MIT chemist, founded his management consulting firm—one of the world’s first—in 1886 in Boston, before moving the company to Cambridge in 1917.
The E60 façade still bears Little’s name, as well as original wrought iron grillwork on the doors, marked “30” to denote the 30 Memorial Drive address. Other original features used in renovation include a set of original double doors reused as office doors and a piece of grillwork with the Arthur D. Little logo used as a stairway railing. MIT last year received a preservation award from the Cambridge Historical Commission for its plans to improve the building while maintaining its architectural and historical character.
Renovations on the building began in 2010, soon after the neighboring E62 was opened to students and faculty. The architect on the renovations was Cambridge-based Bruner/Cott & Associates, best known for its design for the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams. Construction was managed by Boston-based Walsh Brothers, Inc.