Published: September 18, 2013
Big changes are afoot on the MIT Sloan campus as the School’s original building, E52, has closed its doors for two years to undergo a complete renovation.
The building’s closure has dispersed more than two-thirds of MIT Sloan staff to other nearby space, including E48, E60, and the newly-leased EE20, near the CambridgeSide Galleria.
Building E52 is closed throughout renovations. Traffic patterns around the building have changed, with Ames, Wadsworth, and Amherst streets among the affected routes.
The disruption will lead to valuable—and essential—upgrades to a central MIT Sloan building. Constructed in 1938, E52 will benefit from the addition of an expanded MIT Faculty Club and conference space, including a new seventh floor and a glass enclosure. Upon the scheduled completion of the renovation in two years, all student-facing MIT Sloan staff will return to E52, where they will be joined by the MIT Department of Economics.
The E52 renovation will continue to enhance and expand the space available to all members of the MIT Sloan community, following on the dramatic improvements made with the opening of E62 and the Joan and William A. Porter 1967 Center for Management Education in 2010. Said MIT Sloan Dean David Schmittlein, “We are dedicated to offering MIT Sloan students, faculty, and staff a dynamic and welcoming environment that encourages the collaboration and innovation that are the hallmarks of our School. Our ongoing improvements to the physical space on campus are just one of the ways that we continue to invest in the growth of this vital community.”
For ongoing construction updates, please visit MIT’s facilities site.