One of the most important ways we make our vision of a more sustainable world a reality is through our students and alumni. We leverage a deep partnership with MIT Sloan’s Career Development Office to help MIT Sloan students learn about and secure positions working on sustainability issues. The Sustainability Initiative also stays in close contact with our alumni to provide on-going learning, support, and engagement to our vibrant sustainability community.
Over the school year, the Sustainability Initiative supports events that connect our students with organizations and influential leaders across the sectors that are working on building a more sustainable society. Recent and upcoming events include:
- MIT Sloan Sustainability Internship Program: The Sustainability Initiative, in partnership with the Career Development Office, identifies high-caliber sustainability-oriented internships and provides financial support to enable students to take sustainability-focused roles. Past internships were with the National Hockey League, the Environmental Defense Fund, and 360Chestnut. Read about the experiences of recent Sustainability Interns Omar Mitchell and Natacha Hardy.
- Speaker series: Such as the MIT Sloan Sustainability Speaker Series and the Sustainability and Social Impact Perspectives Series, run by the Social Impact Club at MIT Sloan, connect students with thought leaders who are changing the conversation about sustainability.
- MIT Sloan Social Impact Fund: Managed by the Social Impact Club at MIT Sloan, the Social Impact Fund provides financial support to MBA students who accept an MBA summer internships in social impact (non-profit, government, and social enterprise). The fund is supported by raising money from MIT Sloan MBA community; MBA students typically donate one day’s salary from their internship to support their peers as they strive to fulfill MIT Sloan’s mission “to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world.”
- Panels: The Initiative co-hosts panels with MIT Sloan’s Career Development Office for incoming MIT Sloan MBA students. These sessions feature students who have just completed sustainability-focused internships and Career Development staff sharing how MIT Sloan can support students considering sustainability-focused internships and careers.
- Networking events: For students looking for internships or jobs at social impact or sustainability-focused organizations.
From time to time we could all use some inspiration, some guidance, and a sounding board to think about how we lead change toward a more sustainable world.
Through our alumni activities, our goal is to create a vibrant and connected MIT Sustainability alumni community, one that serves as a multiplier of our effectiveness and contribution to sustainability in our personal, professional, and community lives. In addition, by harnessing the insights, ideas, experience and resources of our alumni, we aim to build a world-class sustainability network for current and future students.
As a result, through-out the year, the Sustainability Initiative gathers and engages our alumni community. Some examples of recent events include:
- Breakfasts: These alumni-led events connect our MIT Sloan Sustainability Community, giving alumni a chance to learn from one another and refine their leadership capabilities after leaving MIT Sloan. To attend an alumni breakfast, or to lead one in your area, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Webinars: The Sustainability Initiative will organize webinars on topics such as Buildings and Efficiency, Sustainability and Your Supply Chain, and Improving Job Quality. To participate in a webinar, or to suggest a topic, please contact email@example.com
- Events: The Initiative supports events such as the MIT Sloan Sustainability Summit that bring together leaders and practitioners from many industries and sectors to find solutions to long-standing sustainability challenges. MIT Sloan alumni are invited to attend these events to add to the conversation.
To learn about what some of our recent alumni are accomplishing, click here.
For more information about MIT Sloan’s Sustainability Initiative, contact
Jason Jay, Director of the Initiative for Sustainable Business & Society
Tel: (617) 253-0594 , E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org