HOME | UNDERGRAD | COMMUNITY | STUDENT PROFILES
  • Andrea Gutierrez

Course 15 major (Marketing Science concentration)
    Class of 2015
    Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

Why did you choose MIT?
    I chose MIT because of its students. Students are involved in different activities and majors, had different goals and aspirations, and still created a sense of community and family in spite of those differences.

Why did you choose Course 15 as a major?
    It was what I envisioned my MIT experience to be — a collaborative environment. I also love the opportunity to get to meet different members of the MIT Sloan community by taking MBA-level classes. I have learned, networked, and worked with students from all over the world.

What are your activities outside of class?
    One of the things I have been most proud of here has been serving as the president of Baker House. I got to apply my learnings from school to a real-world situation in which the consumers were my residents. During my term, I had the opportunity to improve the lives of my 300-plus residents.

You did an internship with Nielsen. Can you tell me about that?
    I worked with Nielsen for two summers. The first summer I worked there, I did some consulting analytical work for Wal-Mart, more specifically, Sam’s Club. Some of the things I worked on were to maximize category performance through the optimization of SKU assortment and identify private label growth opportunities, among other projects. I have actually accepted a full-time offer with Nielsen as a consumer demand analyst in Cincinnati once I graduate.