HOME | UNDERGRAD | COMMUNITY | STUDENT PROFILES
  • Haldun Anil

Course 15 (Finance concentration) and Course 14 double major
    Class of 2015
    Istanbul, Turkey

Why did you choose Course 15 as a major?
    Ever since trying out for Model United Nations in high school, I've been very interested in understanding how the world works, playing a role in making it work, and improving facets that I believe could work better. As a double major in Courses 14 and 15, I wanted to accomplish these tasks through my academic education. While I believe Course 14 gives me the tools to understand how the world works, Course 15 provides me with the skill set to make change happen.

You are concentrating in finance. Why does finance appeal to you and why study it here at MIT Sloan?
    Finance appeals to me because I find that it’s a very rigorous way of understanding how humans make financial decisions. I truly love the elegance that comes with the mathematical rigor and human reality of finance, and find it a very interesting space to explore.

Can you tell us about your experience with some of the faculty at MIT Sloan?
    One of my most positive faculty experiences has been with Terence Heagney, who taught Management Communication for Undergraduates (15.279). Besides being a brilliant and very engaging lecturer, I found that he truly cares about the success of his students, evidenced by going out of his way to provide me career and life advice outside of the class setting.

You served as president of the MIT Interfraternity Council (IFC), representing 1,100 fraternity members to various entities such as the MIT administration, faculty, alumni, as well as Boston, Cambridge, and Brookline. What was one of your proudest accomplishments in that role?
    This past year has been rather tumultuous with fraternities being placed under a negative spotlight across the country. Given our role as representatives of the MIT fraternities, it’s been a challenging yet very rewarding year for some of our projects. I'm most proud of the new PartySafePlus training. Over the past year, the IFC has created new programming such as this, focused on increasing external accountability by creating a “Sunshine Policy” with regards to judicial decisions, and worked closely with key stakeholders to demonstrate to our neighborhoods that we are responsible citizens within our communities.
    After President L. Rafael Reif's declaration earlier this year that tackling sexual assault on MIT's campus is now a big priority for the Institute, I felt that the fraternity community was uniquely positioned to be a leader in shaping our collective response to this urgent issue. I hope that the fraternity members continue to be leaders in our broader MIT community and continue in our mission to eradicate sexual assault on campus.