HOME | UNDERGRAD | COMMUNITY | STUDENT PROFILES
  • Taylor Rose

Course 15 (BAOR concentration) and Course 17 double major
    Class of 2016
    Bronxville, NY

Why did you choose to attend MIT?
    I attended the Women’s Technology Program the summer before my senior year of high school and fell in love with the passion and drive of the incredible MIT women that I met through the program. I ultimately chose to go to MIT because I wasn't sure if I wanted to study the social sciences and business or computer science, and I knew that MIT had incredible programs in every field that I was interested in.

You participated in an Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) for the MIT Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program (REAP). What was that experience like?
    I began my UROP last September and was working on content creation and content strategy for the REAP project. I stopped my UROP in May of last year because of academics, but it was a great year-long learning experience. It gave me an opportunity to take a really close look at the entrepreneurial ecosystems of eight very different regions, work with wonderful faculty and staff (Fiona Murray and the REAP head, Georgina Campbell are both role models and advisors of mine). It gave me greater insight into potential career paths.
    Throughout my time doing a UROP, I had a lot of responsibility and freedom. My greatest takeaways are definitely the lessons that I learned from having this kind of open-ended project. The workplace setting isn't like MIT – there aren't problem sets or papers due at specific times, but rather overarching projects that oftentimes don't come with a supervisor who will watch that you’re placing decimals in the right spot. Having a supervisor who trusted me enough to provide me with that freedom was a really incredible learning experience that I took forward to my externship and summer internship this past year.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in here, and how do those activities benefit you?
    I'm currently a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority, the Entrepreneurship Chair of the Women Business Leaders club, and a member of the Student Title IX Working Group. I am also the former president of StartLabs.

What is your career ambition?
    I'm currently thinking about going to law school in the years after MIT and then working as a litigator at a nonprofit or government agency.