2020-2021 Academic Calendar
Current plans for the spring semester are as follows:
- Registration week begins Feb. 8, 2021
- Two weeks of online classes begin Feb. 16, 2021
- In-person classes are scheduled to begin the week of March 1, 2021
- Commencement will be held on June 4
The Academic Week
- Classes will be scheduled in 90-minute segments from 7 AM to 8:30 PM EST.
- In the spring, classes will likely take place Monday through Friday, except for EMBA classes.
- Lunchtime and co-curricular activities will take place 12:30 to 2:00 PM EST.
Our approach has been adopted after careful consideration of student needs and expectations, pedagogical objectives, safety, and well-being risk principles, and with an awareness of peer school plans.
The educational experience varies both across courses and across sessions within courses. Broadly speaking, there are three main instructional modes:
- Fully remote: A fully remote session is one in which all participants are participating remotely over Zoom and students and faculty are both on Zoom.
- In-person: A session that is conducted in person under social distancing protocols.
- Hyflex: A session in which some students are participating in person and some students are participating remotely.
Variations on these main teaching modes may also be found, including sessions in which multiple adjacent classrooms will be used and sessions in which the faculty member is remote but the students and co-instructor or teaching assistants are in the classroom.
Courses are typically taught in one or another mode and some courses may alternate regularly between modes. Courses may need to revert to fully remote in response to changing conditions. The course information for the bidding process provides guidance as to the mix of teaching modes for a given course. In all cases, we are working hard to support you in your academic work and in adjusting to this new learning environment.
More information can be found at the Registrar's Office.