MIT Sloan Action Learning

Frequently Asked Questions

Important Milestones and Logistics

What are the important milestones that I need to meet?

  • Specify the start and end dates (business days) of your on-site project work in your project work plan.
  • Purchase your airplane tickets well in advance of travel. We recommend that you work with preferred MIT vendor The Travel Collaborative. Details will be provided to you at the time of travel planning.
  • Read, complete, and sign the Student Travel Form (MIT certificate required) and submit it to your course TA.
  • Before you leave campus: Be sure to have your valid visa(s) in your valid passport with at least a six-month expiration window.

What vaccinations, immunizations, or medications will I need?

The required vaccinations depend on your travel destination—including countries you may be visiting before or after your on-site work with your host company. For specific country information, go to the International SOS website and log in using MIT's membership number, 11BSGC000066. Use the drop-down menus under "Medical Tools" to learn which vaccinations are required for your destination country. You can get your vaccinations at MIT Medical's Travel Clinic, the Massachusetts General Hospital Travel Clinic, or a range of other providers.

IMPORTANT: Start early! In some cases, you'll need multiple shots and/or medications over a period of time prior to or following travel in order to be fully inoculated. Be sure to fill any prescriptions for medications you'll need to take with you on the trip.

Does my medical plan cover me when I'm traveling outside the United States?

It depends on your plan. You are usually covered for urgent and emergency care, but you may have to pay at the time of treatment, often with cash, and be reimbursed later. Before you travel, read about your insurance plan's coverage carefully, and contact your provider if you have questions. If you're on an MIT health insurance plan, contact the Student Health Office, E23-308, if you have questions about your health plan. You can email the office with coverage questions, or contact Claims and Member Services, or call 617-253-5979. For additional information, please review the MIT Medical website.

How would I get help in a health or security emergency while overseas?

MIT has a contract with International SOS (ISOS) to provide 24-hour, worldwide emergency assistance to our traveling students. Go the International SOS website for further information. You'll be given an ISOS card during your class's travel info session. We strongly recommend that you register your trip information on the ISOS site.

Contact Us

50 Memorial Drive
Building E52-333
Cambridge, MA 02139