MIT Sloan Sustainability Initiative
Sloan Social Impact Fund
Ready to make an impact this summer?
See how the Sloan Social Impact Fund can empower you to make a difference.
Managed by the Sustainability Initiative, the Sloan Social Impact Fund (SSIF) provides financial support to MIT students in students in two-year programs who accept a summer internship in social impact (non-profit, government, and social enterprise). Selected students can receive up to $5,000.
The fund is supported by raising money from MIT Sloan’s MBA community, where fellow MBA students typically donate one day’s salary from their internship to support their peers as they strive to fulfill MIT Sloan’s mission to develop principled, innovative leaders.
- Scope of the internship role: management-related and MBA-level
- Personal and professional impact on the organization
- Level of interest displayed by the applicant at internship organization and by the organization at the applicant
- Relevant skills matched with internship scope and evidence of new skills to be learned and applied
- Nature of internship as relevant and applicable in scope for an MBA student
- Defined deliverables with discussion of potential/desired impact
- Social benefit or service
- MIT Sloan MBA/Dual Degree summer internship in between two academic years
- MBA-level, management-related internship
- Must be at least 8 weeks
- CANNOT: be purely academic research, or have overtly religious or political goals (unless non-partisan)
- Student-sourced (rather than Sustainability Initiative-sourced)
- Can be non-profit, government, or private sector
- Demonstrate commitment to internship (i.e. resources to project, ideally financial contribution)
- No very early stage start-ups, ie. at least series A funding
I came to MIT to begin a transition from the military to the energy industry, and my internship opportunity was my first experience in the tough-tech startup space.
2023 SSIF Internship Program
For students interested in participating this year, see below for timeline requirements and details on how to apply.
Applications open Monday, April 3, 2023
Round I Application Deadline: April 24th
Round II Application Deadline: May 12th
Payments will be processed the first week of June 2023
To apply, students must submit the below application.
*NOTE: See below for the required employer survey internship hosts must fill out in order for you to be eligible.
For your application to be eligible, ensure your employer/internship host submits the below.