Preparing For Your Interview
Type of Interview
The MIT Sloan MBA Admissions Committee conducts behavioral event-based interviews. The concept behind the BEI is that past behavior is a reliable indicator of the future response in a similar situation. The BEI is different from traditional screening interviews in the following ways:
- The interview will be a structured process that will concentrate on areas that are important to the interviewer, rather than focusing on areas that the interviewee may feel are important.
- Instead of asking how the interviewee would behave in a particular situation, the interviewer will ask how he or she did behave.
- Expect the interviewer to ask for additional detail.
- The interviewer will not allow the interviewee to theorize or generalize about several events.
- The interviewee may not have the opportunity to deliver any prepared stories.
- Most interviewers will be taking copious notes throughout the interview.
What the Admissions Committee Looks For:
The interviewer will be looking for concrete and specific examples that reveal one or several of the following traits:
- Influential leadership
- Ability to build relationships
- Drive and motivation
Preparing For BEI
- Recall recent positive situations involving work experience, leadership, professional relationships, teamwork, and planning.
- Prepare short descriptions of each situation; be ready to give details when asked.
- Focus on examples not found in your application.
- Ensure the story has a beginning, a middle, and an end.
- Be honest: don’t embellish or omit any part of the story.
- Be specific: don’t generalize about several events; give a detailed accounting of one event.
- If you are interviewing in Cambridge, MA, the Admissions Office does not open until 8:30 a.m.
- We have limited space for luggage in the Admissions Office so please plan alternative arrangements for belongings.
Following Your Interview
You may send a note to the interviewer via email or postal mail to the following address:
Name of Interviewer
MIT Sloan School of Management
50 Memorial Drive, E52-359
Cambridge, MA 02142-1347
This document is solely for use by MIT Sloan MBA applicants. No part of it may be circulated, quoted, or distributed without prior written approval from the MIT Sloan School of Management.
Copyright 2019 MIT Sloan School of Management. All rights reserved.