Ideas + Actions = Impact
Since Spring 2020, we have taken active steps towards building diversity, equity, and inclusion at MIT Sloan. This is a selection of the efforts underway, with more to come.
- Launched a national search for an assistant dean for diversity, equity, and inclusion and hired Bryan Thomas, Jr.
- Introduced pre-orientation for the MBA program focused on diversity and community
- Held orientation sessions to engage students in a dialogue about race
- Examined implicit bias as a theme in MBA core classes
- Collaborated with other schools in creating a pre-doctoral program to diversify the PhD pipeline
- Partnered with MIT Engineering to recruit undergraduates from underrepresented populations to MIT Sloan programs
- Hosted a series of Inclusive Innovation Conversations to engage the community in conversations with leaders from business, the public sector, and non-profits about building a more inclusive innovation economy
- Listened and learned at student and staff-led events like the BBSA town hall and Sloan Women for Women's "Black Women at MIT Sloan: Unseen and Unheard" seminar
- Adapted our admissions interview process to reduce opportunities for bias to influence outcomes
- Began working with a consultancy to provide staff training in conversations about race
- Convened Staff Matters, Faculty Matters, Student Matters, and Alumni Matters working groups
- Celebrated the launch of the Ally Pledge and Fellowships for Inclusion as well as pre-MBA micro-scholarships for applicants. Read more here.
Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Management
Behavioral and Policy Sciences
At MIT, 3,795 candles lit up Killian Court and Kresge Oval to recognize the 3,795 reported anti-AAPI hate incidents over the course of the pandemic.Read more
MIT Sloan finds its strength in its diversity. We stand with our community of color and invite all members of our community to use their voices as we work together to dismantle systemic racism.Learn More
MIT Sloan is eager to provide a diverse group of talented students with early-career exposure to research techniques as well as support in considering research career paths.Learn about predoctoral opportunities at MIT Sloan