Preparing For Your Interview
As part of your interview, you will be asked to provide specific examples of your personal and work behavior, such as how you persuade others, work as part of a team, and demonstrate leadership.
In addition, Interviewees will be asked to respond to two short-answer questions and upload their responses no later than 24 hours prior to the start of their interview. Details will be sent in the interview invitation.
Please note that at this time all interviews will be conducted virtually.
Virtual Interview FAQ and Best Practices
Applicants invited to interview will receive further instructions on how to register for and login for their virtual interview. Please be sure to review these best practices well in advance of your interview.
Prepare as if it is an in-person interview, but in addition:
- Test your internet connection
- Make sure your camera is connected and works (all virtual interviews are both voice and video)
- Make sure your microphone and speaker work well
- Confirm that your account works (test this with a friend!)
All candidates invited to interview are required to submit two additional short-answer questions. Please answer the following prompts:
Required Question #1:
The mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world and to generate ideas that advance management practice. We believe that a commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and well-being is a key component of both principled leadership and sound management practice.
- In 250 words or less, please describe a time when you contributed toward making a work environment or organization more welcoming, inclusive, and diverse.
Required Question #2:
We are interested in learning more about how you use data to make decisions and analyze results. Please select one of the following prompts to respond to:
- Please select an existing data visualization and in 250 words or less explain why it matters to you. The data visualization should be uploaded as a PDF. Examples may come from current events, a business analysis, or personal research.
- In 250 words or less, please describe a recent data driven decision you had to make, and include one slide presenting your analysis. The slide may include a data visualization example and should present data used in a professional context. Your slide must be uploaded as a PDF.
No! Virtual interviews are the same as in person interviews and will not affect your chances of admission in any way.
Your scheduled virtual interview will be scheduled in local Boston time. Please adjust your calendar to reflect the correct time if you are located outside of the Eastern Time Zone.
When scheduling your interview, please try and select a time that you will be able to keep. We understand that things happen and you may need to reschedule; please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you realize you cannot make your interview and we will work with you to find a new time slot. Please note that your interviewer may change.
Check your email! If interviewers are running behind, they try to email interviewees as soon as possible. If you still have not heard from them within 5-10 minutes please email them directly or contact email@example.com.
Following Your Interview
You may send a note to the interviewer via email.
This document is solely for use by MIT Sloan applicants. No part of it may be circulated, quoted, or distributed without prior written approval from the MIT Sloan School of Management.
Copyright 2020 MIT Sloan School of Management. All rights reserved.